2011 Press 53 Open Awards—deadline March 31, 2011. Winners and finalists will be announced on website via Online Video on Friday, July 1 at 2 pm. EST. Click on PRESS 53 for more information.
First Prize Novella and First Prize, Second Prize, and Honorable Mention in each category published in 2011 Press 53 Open Awards Anthology, October 2011
CATEGORIES: (Please note that word length for Short-Short and Short Story have changed)
- Poetry (submit 3 poems to be judged and published as a group. Three poems equals one entry)
- Flash Fiction (fiction up to 750 words)
- Short-Short Story (fiction of 751-2000 words)
- Short Story (fiction of 2001-5000 words)
- Creative Nonfiction (up to 5000 words)
- Novella (fiction of 12,000 to 25,000 words)
Sycamore Review — Reading Period: August 1 – March 31. Submissions sent at other times will go unread. Sycamore Review is looking for quality, original poetry, fiction, non-fiction and art (scroll down for Aesthetic Statements). The most successful work is exciting, new, fresh, creative, carefully-wrought. They accept unsolicited submissions of fiction, poetry, personal essays and art. Click on Sycamore Review for more details.
StorySouth accepts unsolicited submissions of fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction during two submission periods annually: March 15-June 15 and August 15-December 15. Authors should limit submissions to 3-5 poems, one story, or one essay. There are no word limits on submissions. Long pieces are encouraged. Response time is approximately 2-6 months. Click on StorySouth for more information.
Muscadine Lines: A Southern Journal accepts unsolicited submissions. They accept short fiction and creative nonfiction under 2000 words. Please proofread your work carefully! Send only polished and edited work! Work containing spelling and grammatical errors and typos will not be accepted. Click on Muscadine Lines for more information.
Clapboard House BEST OF THE HOUSE POETRY CONTEST GUIDELINES–Submit three (3) poems, not more than three pages. Email as a word.doc to firstname.lastname@example.org The subject of the email should be POETRY CONTEST. Include a biography, fifty words of less, in third-person. This contest is open to everyone, except friends, colleagues, present and past students of Eric Nelson. They ask for contest submissions to be exclusive to Clapboard House. The deadline is April 15, 2011. NOTE: They are now OPEN to submissions of SHORT FICTION and POETRY. Click on Clapboard House for more information.
The Pedestal Magazine is accepting subissions. Click on The Pedestal Magazine for more details.
- Poetry for the February and April 2011 issues: They are always open to a wide variety of poetry, ranging from the highly experimental to the traditionally formal. Please submit all poems in one (1) form.
- Poetry for the June 2011 issue (reading cycle April 28-June 14): Bruce Boston and Marge Simon will be jointly guest-editing a speculative poetry section. Speculative includes science fiction, fantasy, horror, slipstream, surreal, and experimental. No restrictions on length. No non-speculative submissions. Please do not submit speculative work intended to be considered for the June 2011 issue prior to April 28.
Prime Number seeks to publish distintive work, regardless of theme, form, or style. Contributors will include both emerging and established writers. Quarterly online issues will feature fiction, non-fiction, poetry, book reviews, interviews, and essays on craft. Click on Prime Number for more information..